A paramedic was caught on a camera pocketing £60 from a 94-year-old woman’s home moments after she collapsed and died.

Mark Titley was then filmed looking up and seeing the camera before putting the money back in its place.

But the victim’s son later saw from the recording what he had done and said it made him “disgusted and sick to my stomach”.

Titley, 58, was one of four paramedics called to the woman’s home in Shrewsbury on June 29 last year, following reports she had collapsed in her garden.

The lady lived alone and CPR and advanced life support was conducted for about 20 minutes before she was sadly pronounced deceased.

Shrewsbury Crown Court was told Titley then entered the property in search of a ‘do not resuscitate’ form but was filmed going through a plastic box full of cash and lifting up the notes to count through them before placing around £60 in his trouser pocket,” said West Mercia Police in a statement.

Titley then looked around and spotted the camera before immediately putting it back in the box.

But the woman’s son saw the footage and reported it to West Mercia Police and the court heard he felt “disgusted and sick to my stomach” on reviewing it.

Titley initially denied the allegation, telling police he intended to “secure” the cash and take it out to family members. However, he later admitted theft and was given an 18-week prison sentence, suspended for 12 months.

He was also ordered to carry out 120 hours unpaid work and pay £530 costs and a £187 victim surcharge.

The court heard Titley, of Linley Avenue, Pontesbury, was no longer a serving paramedic, having retired from West Midlands Ambulance Service days after the incident.

Assistant chief ambulance officer, Nathan Hudson, said: “Our staff will be horrified one of their former colleagues would do something like this.

“We hold a position of trust when we enter someone’s home and these sorts of actions rightly put a stain on all of our reputations which is deeply regrettable and makes it much harder for staff who are still working.

“We are pleased that this was taken to court and dealt with by the criminal justice system.”


Original Article