Diego Uribe, 28, is now facing life in jail after an Illinois jury read out the verdict on Wednesday following a ten-hour deliberation. He will be sentenced on November 7.

Police discovered the massacre after they were called to the Martinez family home in Chicago in 2016.

Officers arrived to find 62-year-old Noe Martinez Sr; his wife, 58-year-old Rosaura Martinez; their son, 38-year-old Noe Martinez Jr; their daughter 32-year-old Maria Herminia Martinez; and her two sons, 13-year-old Leonardo Cruz and 10-year-old Alexis Cruz, all dead.

It was discovered that the victims were likely murdered by someone they knew, as they were not restrained.

Uribe and his then-girlfriend, Jafeth Ramos, were charged with six counts of murder each four months after the deaths. They were linked to the crimes by DNA and cellphone data before they confessed, cops said. Uribe’s confession was played for the jury. Ramos has taken a plea deal in exchange for testimony against Uribe.

Assistant Cook County State’s Attorney Risa Lanier said the testimony helped to “give the jury context for why these murders happened, what was occurring inside that house, any possible motive behind it.

“It’s even hard for all of us to wrap our heads around how someone could’ve done this to six members of this family,” she said.

According to Ramos’ testimony, she and Uribe got home from a doctor’s appointment on February 2, 2016, when he showed her a “cowboy gun” and said he had “a job” to do at the home of his aunt, Maria Martinez.

When they got there, Ramos said the aunt offered him food but Uribe demanded he speak with her privately while holding her at gunpoint.

Rosaura Martinez then threatened to call the police, and Uribe kicked her down the stairs and stabbed her.

Ramos stated that Uribe then followed Alexis to a basement bedroom, where he stabbed the boy several times.

He stabbed Leonardo in the livng room as he pleaded for his life, Ramos said.

Noe Martinez Sr. got home from picking up food, and Uribe stabbed him, Ramos concluded.

Uribe and Ramos walked away with $250 in cash, some jewelry, an Xbox, and the contents of a piggy bank.

For her involvement, Ramos is facing a suggested 25-year prison term and armed robbery charge.

Armando Cruz, the father of the two youngest victims, said Uribe was a “monster,” and was emotional telling reporters that he wanted his children remembered with love.

“I don’t know at what moment he became the monster he is today. He was always very calm. It’s hard. I don’t know who that person is.”

Defense attorneys told reporters that they want to request a new trial.

The defense told the jury that Uribe did not act alone, and masked men helped him.

“How could one person have overpowered six people fighting for their lives and killed them in such a brutal fashion?” Assistant Public Defender Margaret Domin asked jurors in her closing argument. 

“It doesn’t make sense.”

“The reason that this happened is because of trust,” Assistant State Attorney Patrick Waller countered.

“Because he was family, he was able to do that.”

“It’s never going to make perfect logical sense, but the bottom line is he wanted money,” Waller added.

Original Article