mcdonalds logo over building windows
Photo by 27 1 on <a href="https://www.pexels.com/photo/mcdonalds-logo-over-building-windows-20209667/" rel="nofollow">Pexels.com</a>

A former McDonald’s manager in Massachusetts is facing a felony charge after police say she allegedly contaminated French fries and served them to her ex-girlfriend through the drive-thru.

Kaylie M. Santos, 22, of Southbridge, has been charged with distributing food with a harmful substance. She is scheduled to be arraigned on June 5 in Dudley District Court, according to court records.

The disturbing case began on May 7, when police became aware of a video posted to a local Facebook page that allegedly showed a McDonald’s manager tampering with food before serving it to a customer.

According to police, the video was originally recorded on Snapchat and allegedly showed Santos inside the kitchen area of the Southbridge McDonald’s.

In the clip, Santos could allegedly be heard saying, “When your girlfriend wants french fries today right… she wants french fries today right,” before grabbing fries, putting them in her mouth, and then placing them into a fry carton.

At the end of the video, another voice could allegedly be heard saying, “dirty bitch.”

Police said officers familiar with Santos from previous interactions identified her in the footage.

Investigators later reviewed surveillance video from inside the restaurant with McDonald’s ownership and management. According to the report, the restaurant team spent more than 220 hours searching footage to locate the incident.

Police said surveillance from April 9 allegedly showed Santos, who was working as a night manager, preparing a drive-thru order with another employee.

Investigators allege Santos appeared to spit into an empty fry carton before wiping her lips with her hand as both employees laughed. She then allegedly recorded a selfie video while putting fries into her mouth and placing them into the same carton before handing the bag to a customer at the drive-thru window.

The customer was later identified as Haily Coburn.

According to police, Coburn told investigators she and Santos had dated for about two years before breaking up in October 2024. Coburn alleged that Santos had been harassing her and her new partner after learning she was dating someone else.

Coburn told police she only ordered two Dr Pepper soft drinks that night, but was unexpectedly given fries as well. She said she ate the fries without knowing anything had allegedly been done to them.

Police said Coburn only learned what allegedly happened after seeing the Snapchat video online. She told investigators she wanted to pursue criminal charges.

Authorities said the alleged food tampering appeared to specifically target Coburn, and they do not believe any other customers were affected.

A no-trespass order was also issued against Santos and served on May 12, according to the report.

The Southbridge Police Department said the investigation has now concluded and that Santos will be charged with one felony count of selling or distributing food with a foreign substance.

Police also praised the restaurant’s ownership and management for cooperating with the investigation, saying their help was important in bringing the case to a close.

The Sellia Group, which owns the Southbridge McDonald’s, said the employees involved were suspended immediately after the company learned of the incident. They were later fired after an internal investigation.

“The actions of these individuals are unacceptable and do not reflect our organization’s food safety standards or values,” the restaurant owners said in a statement.

They added that they worked with local authorities and the health department, which found no public health concerns or violations.

For customers, the case is the kind of fast-food nightmare no one expects: ordering drinks at a drive-thru and allegedly getting revenge fries from an ex.

One thought on “McDonald’s Manager Charged After ‘Contaminating’ Fries in Shocking Drive-Thru Stunt”

Leave a Reply