An Iowa couple is facing child endangerment charges after police say a severely malnourished 13-year-old girl with autism escaped from their home in a desperate search for food.

Police were called to a Sioux City residence around 3:35 p.m. on Aug. 11 after receiving a report that the teenager was missing.

Brandon and Emily Myers, both 45, identified themselves as the girl’s guardians, according to court documents cited by local media.

Officers began searching the property and soon found the teen near the home.

Authorities said she appeared severely malnourished and dehydrated and was taken to a hospital for treatment.

The girl allegedly told police she had climbed out of her bedroom window because she was hungry and wanted to find food.

She eventually returned to the house, took food from the kitchen and hid it inside a nearby vehicle, investigators said.

Police later found snacks, bananas, bagels and other food inside the vehicle.

But what officers allegedly discovered inside the girl’s bedroom raised even more concerns.

Court documents say the bedroom door had a lock on the outside, while the door handle had been installed backward.

Investigators also reportedly found screws in the window frame that appeared designed to prevent it from opening.

The bedroom was allegedly 10 to 15 degrees warmer than the rest of the house.

Police also found a plastic container filled with urine, according to reports.

During questioning, Brandon and Emily allegedly admitted that they locked the teenager inside the bedroom every night without food or water.

They also reportedly told investigators that the girl used a plastic tub inside the room as a toilet.

The couple allegedly said they had not seen the child since the previous night and did not check on her again after going to sleep around 4 a.m.

Both were arrested and charged with child endangerment causing injury.

They were being held without bond at the Woodbury County Jail.

If convicted, each could face up to five years in prison.

A judge has also issued a temporary no-contact order preventing Brandon and Emily from having any contact with the 13-year-old.

Their next court appearance is scheduled for Aug. 21.

It was not immediately clear whether either defendant had hired an attorney or entered a plea.

3 thoughts on “Couple Arrested After Starving Teen Girl Escapes Locked Bedroom Searching for Food”

Leave a Reply