Two children and two adults are dead after a devastating house fire in Chicago that authorities are now investigating as suspected arson.

The fire broke out just before 2 a.m. Wednesday, May 20, at a home in the 6200 block of South Paulina Street in Chicago’s West Englewood neighborhood.

According to the Chicago Police Department, a 57-year-old woman and a 62-year-old man suffered severe burns and were rushed to the University of Chicago Hospital in critical condition. Both were later pronounced dead.

Four children were also taken to Comer Children’s Hospital after the fire. Police said the children included three boys, ages 14, 15, and 16, and an 8-year-old girl.

Firefighters and neighbors helped rescue two of the older children by catching them as they escaped from a window, NBC5 Chicago reported.

But the 8-year-old girl and 15-year-old boy later died at the hospital. The two surviving children are now listed in stable condition, police said.

Loved ones identified the adults who died as Reginald Wilson and his wife, Lisa Brown. Family members also identified the two children who died as 15-year-old Ja’Quan and 8-year-old Royalty Rattler, according to ABC7.

Antonio Wilson, whose parents died in the fire, told NBC5 that his mother had been a longtime foster parent and was the guardian of the four children inside the home.

“My family was a family, we stuck together,” he said.

He told ABC7 that the children did not deserve what happened.

“Royal’s birthday is on June 1st,” he said. “Her birthday was coming up. She didn’t deserve this.”

The Chicago Police Department said it could not confirm whether the children were foster children.

Photos from the scene showed the house badly burned, with broken windows, blackened walls, and children’s toys still outside.

Authorities believe the fire may have been started from outside the home, prompting an arson investigation.

“Area One detectives are investigating the incident, which is currently classified as an Arson investigation,” police said.

The tragedy has left relatives and neighbors heartbroken.

Antonio Wilson said the home had been a gathering place for family, with bikes out front for the kids and regular weekend get-togethers.

“Every time I see that porch, it just reminds me of home and family,” he told ABC7. “And to come see it look like that, it hurt.”

He said the family met every Saturday, whether for movies or a barbecue.

“I don’t know what to do now,” he said.

Chicago Alderman Ray Lopez said the fire was especially horrifying because children were inside.

“This house had a family in it, this house had children in it, and yet this house was set on fire,” Lopez told ABC7.

He urged neighbors to check doorbell camera footage from between midnight and 1 a.m. for anything that could help investigators.

Neighbor Andrew Atchinson remembered the family as warm and lively.

“They barbequed in the front, they had a little canopy out there, they played their music at night,” he said.

“I’m heartbroken,” he added. “This is terrible. This is truly terrible.”

Leave a Reply